All Collections
Product Help & Questions
How can I apply for an EIN without a Social Security Number?
How can I apply for an EIN without a Social Security Number?

This article details how to apply for an EIN without a Social Security Number, and how to get an ITIN

Updated over a week ago

To apply for an EIN without a social security number (SSN) you will need to complete Form SS-4, which is the application for an EIN. When filling out the form, be sure to include your foreign address in the appropriate section, and make sure you have all the necessary information on hand, such as your LLC’s name, your name and Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (more on how to obtain this below), and the name and address of your registered agent.

Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for Non-U.S. Residents

If you’re a non-U.S. resident looking to start an LLC in the United States, you likely don’t have a Social Security number. So, in order to complete Form SS-4, you may instead need to apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) to fulfill your tax obligations. An ITIN is a tax processing number issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to individuals who are required to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number but don’t have, and aren’t eligible to obtain, a Social Security number (SSN) from the Social Security Administration (SSA).

To apply for an ITIN, you’ll need to complete Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, and submit it to the IRS along with your tax return, or another approved reason for needing an ITIN. It’s important to note that an ITIN isn’t a substitute for an SSN and can’t be used for employment purposes.

Did this answer your question?